While future widgets are not guaranteed, the following is a list of widgets that are under consideration. There’s a general vision emerging. Using macOS is great, but a lot of that experience is scattered across many apps. Switching between those apps wastes time, especially when you have to search for the app. A few seconds here, a few minutes there, it doesn’t seem like a lot – but it adds up. What if there was a better way?
The longterm plan for the Widgets app is to create an experience where many common tasks can be accomplished in a single app. The Widgets app’s mission – to neatly display a lot of information and functionality into a single space. In other words, it’s a software-based multitool.
If you want to request a widget, even if it’s already listed on this page, you can use the Contact Form to send a message.
- Countdown – Probably easy to build, but it needs to look pretty.
- Dictionary – Text formatting issue, researching alternative solutions.
- Interest Calculator – This needs to look pretty. It probably needs animated graphs. The math needs to be right too.
- Network Stats – This could be a nice companion to the “System Stats” Widget.
- Notes – Is it enough to just add a box for typing? Probably not. The idea is to plug into iCloud. That’s fairly complicated. It has to be done safely too.
- Percentage Calculator – This is easy to build. But with only 11 widgets, I’m not ready to add another calculator yet.
- Recipes / Cookbook – Getting content is tough.
- RSS Feed Reader – Not looking very likely right now.
- Stopwatch – Probably easy to build, but it needs to look pretty.
- Thesaurus – This depends on the Dictionary.
- To-Do – Significant progress has been achieved, but the idea is to plug into “Reminders”.
- WEB: Base64 Converter – Planned for the “Web Developer” update
- WEB: Color Selector – Planned for the “Web Developer” update
- WEB: Glossary – Planned for the “Web Developer” update
- GAME: B.R.O.O.M. (Mini Classic) – This has to work in mobile too, which complicates the matter.
- GAME: Mini Pinball – Ah, pinball. Artwork is the main issue here.
- GAME: Mini Picopede – This is a fast-paced game, which might not be suited for the Widgets app. One false move and the screen scrolls.
- GAME: Tic-Tac-Toe – People probably don’t want this. It’s just a placeholder. The general idea is to release a new game widget as the 20th, 30th, 40th and 50th widgets.